Friday, May 25, 2012

Dear Mama



I’m not sure where you went,
or why he took you away.
But I need you here to hug me
and tell me it's okay.





This place grows cold and dark at night,
I’m always so alone.
I can’ t block out the whimpers
of dogs dreaming of a home.


They give me food and water here;
It’s better than the street.
But sitting here in this jail,
I can’t bring myself to eat.


Across the way, I see a pup,
no bigger than myself.
His eyes have already given up
and so has everyone else.


When humans come to see me,
I show I’m playful, loyal, smart.
But after the umpteenth time,
it’s hard to play the part.


I’ve been here a few days now,
my pup friend is long gone.
Soon he’ll come to get me too,
though I’m scared, I won’t let on.


Last night I dreamt of simple things;
a bed, a toy, a treat.
But the man is coming to get me now,
So here goes my final greet.


Mama, I’ll hold my head high
as he opens up my door.
My tail is slightly wagging 
‘cause I’m shaking to the core.


We walk the hallway and I can smell
the putrid scent of fear.
I start to struggle; I thought I was ready;
Please get me out of here!


They strap my snout and hold me down
and Mama, this isn’t love.
I’d rather sleep here my whole life
than meet with God above.


Please, someone, send a savior.
I have so much more to do.
As they get the poison ready,
I realize I hadn’t had a clue.


This isn’t about crowding,
it’s all about my breed.
They say I’ll do bad things
and judge by another’s deed.


These people think we’re different,
are trying to make us obsolete.
But in a world of rainbows,
can’t discrimination be beat?


I’m in my last few seconds now,
my two months of life were great.
A hard life is all I knew,
but it must’ve been my fate.


I close my eyes, but soon I feel
The murder come to a stop.
The phone says I have a “foster”
and I hear the needle drop.


They reluctantly release my muzzle;
I wiggle my body free.
Was my prayer really heard?
Did someone finally come for me?


A lady exuding confidence
plows through the doors of steel.
She scoops me up, kisses my head
and all my pain is healed.


We  walk the same long hallway
and I see my kennel friends,
I hope the man doesn’t come for them;
that they meet a different end.


My tongue hangs out as we drive away,
her gentle hand on my head.
I think about you, Mama, 
And my heart sinks like lead.


You see, my Mama wasn’t like me -
she didn’t get a foster.
And after a few days at the shelter,
her life is what it cost her.


So thank you, Mama, from above.
You must have had some pull,
to send an angel in the last hour,
For me, 
your little pit bull.






Written by: Shana Markwis 2012