Monday, October 10, 2011

Rescue Me.

rescue [res-kyoo]: to free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger or evil

We've all been rescued. At some point, in all of our lives, we have had something free us from the evils that surround us.  Those evils may be addiction, an abusive partner, suicidal thoughts, financial strain, or self-destruction through mutilation, eating disorders, or isolation. No matter your gender, color, beliefs, economic status or personality, rescue is a tangible force that touches everyone.  You don't have to have someone pull you from the path of a speeding train to feel the freedom of rescue.  Rescue comes in all shapes and sizes and honestly, the word 'rescue' is way too big for it's britches.

I was rescued once.  Actually, I was rescued and then I was saved. You can take a dog from a shelter, but if you don't then focus on the 'saving' part, the whole rescue thing kind of becomes pointless, huh? But that's for later. Back to me.

Beyond any stretch of the imagination, I know with my whole heart that my best friend, Toby, was put into my life at a very specific time and was given an extremely difficult task that even she was unaware of.  Her job was to rescue me.  Her job was to pull me out from under the mushroom cloud of an abusive boyfriend.  The evils that manipulated me into what a "normal" relationship looked like and acted like dissipated when Toby was around.  For almost two years, she kept me grounded, never pushing or prodding, even laughing at stories that weren't really supposed to be funny, keeping my spirit alive and well.  Because of her constant companionship, strength and sanity when I had little, I woke up one day and came out of the fog.  There was no "last straw", there was no warning of what was coming, I had just been doing it for too long and knowing I had her to fall back on, I was fearless.  I wouldn't even know where to begin to thank her, because she doesn't see it like this.  She sees me as the strong one. When you rescue, you see it as an everyday task; heroes never think of themselves as heroes.   And I guess that's why they continue to save.  Because they never second guess themselves.

After she rescued me, I needed time to heal.  God must have known that her job had been completed because her life suddenly took her in another direction and she transferred to another university shortly thereafter.  Cleaning up the mess of an almost two year abusive, abnormal, manipulative relationship should have been daunting.   With the support I had from Toby, (plus my sister who I had finally enlightened on the whole thing), I felt strong, capable and complete as an individual.  Something that would be hard for most women put through that sort of situation.  However, I have never looked back.  Not once.  Not a single ounce of me was ever put towards that relationship again.  As most dog rescuers know, you just have to move on. The dogs do it, and we need to do it as well.  Maybe I was always destined to be a dog rescuer but I never once even peeked over my shoulder to see what could have been.  I looked forward every single day, until one day, I looked right into the sweet blue eyes of the man that saved me.  Taking every part of me in stride and never missing a beat, God must have made him with me in mind.  Thank you Toby for rescuing me; it has created the life I have now and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Trey - I love you. Thanks for saving me and being the man I needed you to be.

Rescue is as pure as the very sun shining down.  Everything it touches creates life, love and happiness. Those rainy days will inevitably come, but no plant would ever grow without rain.  In order for us to grow, we need to overcome some
 resistance to help remind us how beautiful the sun really is.

If you've been rescued, if you'd like to pass this on and pay it forward, or if you'd like to reap the benefits of trusting in something that fulfills you in a way you've never felt before, then please, contact your local church, Samaritan's purse, homeless shelters, battered women agencies, orphanages, or animal shelter and donate your time, donate used items and every now and then, donate some dollas too!   

Follow my blog to see future posts about my foster pups through Carolina Care Bullies or volunteer work with local outreach partners around Charlotte through Elevation Church.  I'm changing the world .. one rescue at a time.