Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cagney - Part II

I received an email from a certain dark colored dog last night, and although there were multiple typos (you know, from the whole no thumbs thing), the message was clear.  I paraphrased it below:

                “Dear Old Mom, I am divorcing you.  I don’t know what that word means, but I think I heard it on tv one time.  My New Mom showed me your letter thing about me and you told it all wrong.  I am appalled to hear you say that I fell off the greenway.  I did not fall. I gracefully landed in the water, and I did it by purpose. Not by accident.  It’s not my fault that I can air dry and you can’t! Anyway, if I was still at your house, I would probably poop on the floor just to show you that I don’t use horrible cuss words like you said. Maybe I’d even rip a hole in your sock, or work pants … oh wait, I’ve already done both of those things. Okay, well, I told my New Mom to let me know if the internet is spreading any more lies about me, and if it does, I won’t be ashamed to lick myself on your pillow. Be warned Old Mom. Be warned.”

My mouth dropped. Does he think I’m fooled? He’s already licked himself on my pillow! So I guess when he sees this post, he’ll just have to come visit and follow through with his lame threat.  And then I’ll get to see his wrinkly face and love him up.  Win/win.

So here are a few more Cagney shananigans for your entertainment:

It was a Friday. I took Cagney for our usual training/walk and realized as I walked out of the house that there was a giant party taking place next door at the community park.  We went over to check it out and there was a band, people sitting in the grass with beers, kids playing, just a whole bunch of awesomeness.  So although I had abandoned my phone in the house and only had a bag of treats and a house key on me, we decided to sit and watch some of the show.  We picked a wonderful spot up on a small hill above the sidewalk, out of the way of passersby but still close to the musical event.  C sat like a gentleman next to me for about 9 and a half seconds and then got distracted and started sniffing around.  I was jamming out to some Bruce Springsteen covers when I realized that C was inhaling. Hard. Like really hard. Hard enough to actually be getting moisture out of the ground.  Grossed out, I glanced over and was about to pull him back over to me, when he started digging and in turn, began throwing dirt and sand all over the people walking on the sidewalk. Horrified, I said his name and pulled him over to me, but not before I saw an OUTPOURING of small red insects in the freshly dug hole.  Yes, Cagney had been sniffing and digging in a red ant hill.  As I stand up to apologize to the people in front of me that have sand and dirt all over them, (who were simultaneously brushing dirt/sand/red ants off their clothes and giving me double stink eyes), I see that Cagney is inhaling these red ants like a WetVac. It took him about three good sucks to realize that live red ants in your nose aren’t all that pleasant.  As we stood up and began walking home, I managed to have the following conversation:

“Cagney! I can’t –“ Sneeze. “God bless you, I can’t take—“ Sneeze. “Goodness, bless you! Seriously though. Cagney. I—“ Sneeze. Sneeze. Sneeze. Rub with paw. Sneeze. Rub face on ground. Rub with paw. Sneeze. Pause. Sneeze.

This continued the entire way home, him sneezing about 15 times and having to stop every few steps to rub his nose with his paw.  I felt bad, but lesson learned little buddy … don’t mess with anything that has a stinger. 


Hey, you know what? C has a problem.   He doesn’t really prepare to poop; he’s more of a poop procrastinator.  A poopcrastinator, if you will.  So when he has to go, he doesn’t sniff, find a good spot, squat, finish and be done. It’s more like this: “Ohmygosh, I love grass and I love smelling and I smell people and dogs and cats and squirrels and I want to find them and oh wait, there’s my human and she doesn’t want me to dig in the ground. Ok new plan, I love grass and I love smelling and I smell people and woahhhh, somethin’s happening. Not sure what it is, so I’m gonna keep walking while this weird thing happens and make a giant poop trail that’s really humiliating in public to clean up.” I cannot tell you how many times we would be walking for 10, 20, 30 minutes in grass and the minute we’d walk down the street, he’d squat right in the middle.  I mean, directly in the middle of the road.  Poopcrastinators.  I’m sure everyone knows at least one.


On Cagney’s last morning at my house, I let him get in bed with Trey and I.  He was normally not allowed in the bed, although for the full month he was at my house, he would try every night, multiple times.  Just in case I changed my mind, I presume.  So I call him up and he was beside himself.  He alternated sitting on my head to rolling on his back on top of me and lying horizontally across our necks with his lanky legs splayed out in all directions.  I was able to appreciate what our rescue does at that moment and I looked at his upside-down bully grin and knew that chances are, without CCB, Cagney would have had a needle stuck into his forearm at 6 weeks old and would not currently be tumbling, frolicking, being a giant dope and making people laugh each day.  He deserved to be saved and so do the rest of the babies that are waiting in the world.  Go check out https://www.facebook.com/petpardons if you want to make an immediate difference. Google and donate to any rescue - no, not the Humane Society or ASPCA - no, I mean a real, non-profit rescue run by people that are probably poor and will stretch your dollars as far as possible because every dollar is gold to them. 

Without our rescue, Cagney wouldn’t be here.  Don’t you want to be a part of something bigger than yourself?